Startups Meet Pharma
…a challenge-based acceleration Programme for Startups and Key Pharma Companies in Europe.
The EIT Health Startups Meet Pharma is a challenge-based acceleration programme connecting startups developing innovative solutions for chronic care with key pharma partners in Europe. The programme invites startups developing solutions which impact both the Pharma industry and patients, to tackle set challenges in collaboration with top pharma partners.
The programme had its premiere in 2019 with 14 healthcare startups from all over Europe that tackled five different challenges set up by EIT Health Partners Amgen, Bayer, Ferrer, Janssen and UCB. Pharma partners and start-ups were equally enthusiastic, so that the program enters its second round in 2020.
We cordially invite EIT Health pharma partners and those who are not yet active in the EIT Health ecosystem as well as healthcare start-ups to be part of the programme in 2020 – #SMP2020
What’s in for Pharma Companies?
- You will be introduced to pre-vetted startups from all over Europe aligned with your innovation strategy
- You can submit one of the challenges according to your area of interest
- You can showcase your company’s innovation capacity to EIT health’s pan-European startup community
- You are directly involved in startups selection into the programme
- You will get the opportunity to present your company and sit for 1:1s with all the startups involved in the programme
- You will get the opportunity to organize a visit at their facilities with selected startups to discuss collaboration opportunities;
- You get a seat in the jury panel for the ‘Demo Day
- You will get the option to train your staff in modern innovation methodology and foster entrepreneurial spirit within your own organisation by sending them to the EIT Health Entrepreneurship Training
What’s in for Startups
- You will get access to key pharma companies leading healthcare innovation areas in Europe
- You will get structured Entrepreneurship Training with key opinion leaders of the European healthcare ecosystem
- You wil get a chance to meet onsite with opinion leaders and key stakeholder of the participating pharma partners
You will expand your network including other startups operating in the health sector across Europe
- You will get Mentorship & Coaching by C-level professionals during the whole programme
- You will get up to 10K for travel and accommodation expenses
- You will get free coworking space for the whole period of the programme.
“Startups Meet Pharma provides cutting-edge innovation training, valuable expert insights as well as the opportunity for startups to expand their professional network.”
Marius Schmidt, Innovation Consultant, Sommerrust
“We are now engaged in discussions with UCB and one of their partners. The discussions and the training had a very high quality. It was very valuable to us. We learned and improved a lot and definitely changed our perspective about our own business and the strategy we want to follow.”
Nélson Oliveira, CTO, BestHealth4U
“We had a very interesting discussion with Ferrer. They really want to dive deep into motor symptoms of Parkinson’s patients and we will team up in the short term and see how we can contribute to their products with our gait analysis system.”
Ralph Steidl, CEO Portabiles GmbH
“We had close discussions not only with senior pharma employees, but also with experts with deep functional & industry expertise! I especially want to mention our very helpful exchange with the EIT Health team and also the close collaboration with our mentor from the EIT Health Mentoring & Coaching Network.”
Jeremy Henrichs, CEO & Co -Founder, Health Companion
This years’ programme consisted of four different modules that trained and prepared the Startups to pitch their project to the Pharma companies.
During the first and the second module lectures were given by medical, scientific, business, and innovation experts of the Pharma companies. They were complimented with hands-on user-feedback sessions and some insights on optimal patient-centred product design. The participants also enjoyed many insightful sessions on a range of topics such as IP regulation, business negotiations, business modelling, but also sessions on how to utilise EIT Health’s extensive network to develop strategic partnerships and conduct joint projects with EIT Health partners under the umbrella of the EIT Health Innovation Portfolio.
An essential part of this year’s programme was a Roadshow to all pharma companies being part of the programme, where the startups had the opportunity to meet relevant stakeholders and gain valuable insights on the spot.
The programme finished on Friday 26th July 2019 with a big pitch event, the Startups Meet Pharma Demo Day, at the EIT Health Germany Research & Education Center in Heidelberg, Germany. Having been trained and prepared with loads of information, insights and impressions from the pharma partners and other coaches the participants pitched their business ideas to a handpicked selection of potential investors and mentors, relevant EIT Health partner and potential new business partners.
#SMP2020 will again consist of four modules:
June 2020, 5 days innovation & entrepreneurship training including tools and methods on how to successfully build your business (i.e. business modeling, marketing and sales strategy, financial planning and forecasting, regulatory hurdles and pitching & presenting skills)
Beginning of July 2020, 5 days workshops and 1:1 by C-level experts from leading pharma partners in Europe.
September 2020, Roadshows to pharma partners facilities in with presentations, feedback & interaction to discuss collaboration opportunities.
November 2020, Demo day with industry partners and Investors Network (VCs and BA Network).